Transplant- reviews can change everything

Transplant

Reviews can change everything
Comic reviews are an over looked aspect of the comic book industry but have a big impact on a series success of failure. Last year at MCM London our table was approached by A place to hang your cape who wanted to review our comics. We were shocked and after the event took them on their offer, we sent them our comics however we got no response at all. We had thought they decided not to review our stuff.

That was until I decided to just one day to Twitter key word search ‘Transplant’ to see what comes up. To my surprise there was an article by A place to hang your cape where they had produced a review of my comic Transplant. The review was produced in January of 2017 and I searched in April 2017.

I gave the review a read and it wasn’t the most positive review. They called the story clichéd which was valid as I did pick a concept that is saturates the horror genre. I picked that story as it was the one that had the most potential at the time.

The art was criticised as being terrible which they are not wrong about. During my second year of uni I still had an issue with consistency which played a huge factor in characters looking completely different in pages. This is something I have improved on dramatically during my current third year.
I believe this is because I spent more time on the pages and understanding how to draw characters. At the time, I was proud of Transplant mainly due to the fact I completed the comic in the time frame to sell at MCM. However, after I began to hate certain pages and wanted to redraw the whole comic. I never redrew the comic as I had new ideas that took over and the motivation the redraw Transplant died down.

That was until I saw and read this review. I was inspired to redraw Transplant and in the process rewrite as well. I decided now was a good time as my drawing ability had improved and I wanted people to read Transplant as it has a key role in Black Voyage.

I went through the original comic and came up with a new story that had an added originality to it. The original played out in 28 pages and with the rewrite I slimmed the story down to a manageable 16-page comic.

They never mentioned my coloring but I decided to stick to Black Voyage and produce it in B&W with selective color. This is because my other Black and White work got a better response to my work in color.

They did mention the ciphers and codes, that they were an interesting concept. This was good to hear as I plan on including Ciphers in every comic I do.

Now that this review had inspired me to recreate Transplant I needed to remove the existing Transplant from my webstores. I plan on putting this version in its place but after I release Black Voyage.

To check out the review that changed Transplant forever you can click here.

Comments

Popular Posts